Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My 1st Trimester Pregnancy Must Haves

As I’m nearing the end of this pregnancy I thought I’d compile a list of all of the things that have helped me get to this point. I definitely couldn’t have done it half as comfortably without them! All of the extra progesterone that I was on during my first trimester made me pretty sick and tired for most of the time. Almost all of my must have items were things that helped me with those miserable symptoms.

1. Chocolate milk- Every morning I’d have half a glass of chocolate milk and for some reason it really helped settle my stomach. I tried many other things but eventually I’d throw them up and they’d be off my list. Chocolate milk was one of the constants that always helped. It was really odd for me (and still is!) because I was strictly an almond milk girl prior to getting pregnant but (for me) it’s had to be the real deal during pregnancy.



2.  Leggings- I got bloated fast and leggings helped me get through that awkwardness. Luckily it was still early spring while I was in my first trimester and I could still wear leggings without  feeling like I was going to immediately overheat. I’d wear them with a dress or with tunic type shirts, sweaters and boots.




3.  Heating pad- I had to have progesterone in oil shots 3 times a week until week 14….and those shots go into the bum muscle. Sitting on a heating pad after the shots was absolute Heaven.


4.  Sprite- Much like chocolate milk, Sprite was something that helped my nausea while I sipped on it.
 

5.   Crystal Light Packets- At the beginning of my pregnancy I knew that I had to get lots of water in but I couldn’t bring myself to drink plain water. The thought of it made me sick to my stomach. I could handle crystal light though and the peach tea packets helped me stay hydrated.

6.    Cheapie pregnancy test strips- At least until 6 weeks I was testing every day (remember that I got my BFP at 3 weeks and 2 days…so it was quite a while). Seeing the line get darker helped me take it day by day without completely freaking out all the time. I wouldn’t necessarily suggest this for other people, it just honestly helped me. It should also be noted that a little bit before 6 weeks the line got lighter and it caused a huge freak out. Apparently at some point the pregnancy hormone begins to be metabolized differently in your system and it doesn’t show up in the same way. That was when I stopped testing.


(Ignore the expensive tests....I had an addiction! I don't recommend it.)

6 comments:

  1. Chocolate Almond Milk was one of my 1st trimester must haves too. :)

    And sprite was quite enjoyable too!

    Lemons got me through all the water drinking I needed to do and got that "sweet" taste out of my mouth.

    That was a ROUGH time!! I still can't smell garlic, spaghetti (gag), or onions.

    Little by little, I'm able to eat more of a variety again! Whew! I thought I would eat junk food forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tested almost every single day until about 6 weeks too. My husband was convinced I was losing my mind! I had 2 blood tests during that time showing my progesterone was rising, but I was STILL taking tests almost every morning.

    You're not alone in your addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Err...addiction, not addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going crazy with daily testing. So glad I'm not alone. I might have to stockpile some Nesquik!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that I was the only one with a Nesquik addiction. We went through so much milk and containers of Nesquik. I still enjoy it, but not nearly so much...lol. I also did the daily testing until my first ultrasound. It really helped me too because after seeing so many negatives it was nice to look forward to seeing a positive every day and it was a little event that helped to pass the time!!

    I was also obsessed with potatoes. The only time I wasn't nauseous was when I was eating something made out of potatoes especially french fries or home fries!! So good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! I loved chocolate milk too, but now in my second trimester I don't want anything to do with it!

    ReplyDelete