Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Acupuncture Experience

Sooooo I tried out the acupuncture thing last Friday and it was definitely an "experience."

When we first got to the address of the clinic I almost told Josh to just go home because it was in a very scary part of town in a very deserted-looking building. I knew that I wouldn't be satisfied unless I gave it a shot though so I banished my inner coward and went in. I filled out quite a bit of paperwork before I actually set down with the acupuncturist. She seemed really flustered and she was the only one in the office so she was checking people in, answering phones, etc. During our consultation she walked out to answer her cell phone twice and it sounded like she was scheduling other appointments. 

I took my printed out charts and my hormone level results. She looked them over but seemed to be confused about my charts. She didn't speak English very well but we seemed to communicate okay enough for her to get the general idea of what was going on. She asked me twice during the consult if I've ever had an ultrasound to check for a stomach tumor...ummmm no I haven't. 

After almost half an hour of talking she wanted to do a physical examination so she took me into another room and checked everything out. She pressed down on a few different areas of my stomach and there were 2 areas on the left that really hurt when she touched them. She told me that I should try to get a stomach U/S because she really believed that I had a stomach tumor. That definitely wasn't very calming.

Then, without warning, she just started doing the actual acupuncture. I had thought that we had a consultation and then she asked if I wanted the actual treatment done and I had an option to leave if I didn't. There was never a point for this to happen. She said she wanted to test my body to see if it could "handle" the pressure and next thing I knew I had 12 needles in various parts of my body. Okay then.

The needles didn't really hurt and there was just a little pressure at each point. After she put them in she turned the lights down and left me there with them in for about 15 minutes. This part actually felt very relaxing and I really enjoyed it, leading me to believe that the actual treatment would be something that I'd be interested in doing again.

After I was done she told me that she wanted me to come in twice a week for the first month and then we'll take it from there. I paid her for my session and told her that if I decided to move forward with treatment I'd call her. I haven't called and I don't plan on going back to the clinic.

I really don't have any desire to do acupuncture again right away. I know that the level of my experience had everything to do with the specific place that I went but it was also really expensive. And my insurance didn't give me a discount like I was led to believe that it would. We don't have the extra money to continue with it right now, I'd rather put that toward the progesterone supplements I need that cost an arm and a leg. 

I definitely did enjoy the actual acupuncture process and I'd 100% recommend trying it but I'd never recommend the clinic that I went to. I've heard many many stories of positive experiences and professional clinics so I'd just say to do your research and it may take some shopping around before you find a place that's the right fit for you.

7 comments:

  1. Ummm I am almost speechless here. I am not sure what the "protocol" is for acupunture, but that doesnt sound like it. I can only speak from my experiences. Mine was very professional in the fact he had me fill out pages (about 30) concerning my health. We did acupunture for helping blood flow to uterus only. Im sure everyone is different.

    I do completely understand what you mean by progesterone supplements costing arm and leg though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I'm positive that this experience is only because of the place that I went...I've only heard about good acu experiences!!! I definitely still have faith in the actual treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like acu either. I much prefer a massage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that place sounds pretty sketchy, and it's really annoying that you didn't get the insurance discount you were expecting! I love acupuncture treatments, myself, but I do think you have to find the right practitioner, and that paying for things like progesterone would definitely take priority.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tsk. Tsk. That’s too bad. Acupuncture is a very useful treatment, and it’s sad that some people are making it look bad. Anyway, I’m glad you haven’t changed your mind about acupuncture. I’m sure, with careful research, you’ll find the right acupuncturist for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doing further research will help a lot. Discovering the facts about acupuncture will free people from doubts, especially when they realize the countless benefits it could give. Just a piece of advice, it’s better to ask from professionals and health practitioners before going through any procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's your first acupuncture treatment, there are times when you'll really feel uncomfortable. You can also experience adverse effects that can make you think that acupuncture is bad. The truth is, you just have to make sure that you're with a trusted acupuncturist to make sure that they'll treat you properly. You have to follow their advice in post and pre-treatment to be sure that you won't have other complications.

    ReplyDelete