Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Movies to cry along with...

Some days I just want to cry. It's usually not all about one particular thing. I just build things up and every 2 weeks or so I'm due for a good, long emotional breakdown. Josh has come to affectionately call these episodes "getting my boo-hoo's out."

One thing that I've found helps these along is watching a movie that makes me cry. They'll usually start the floodgates and then I don't feel completely ridiculous about crying for no particular reason….since technically crying because Mandy Moore has leukemia is perfectly acceptable.

I figured that I'd share my favorite movies for those emotionally rainy days, hopefully some of you can relate and if you haven't seen one of these movies they are seriously fantastic and I highly suggest them.

1. A Walk to Remember. This movie became my go to crying movie in junior high actually (I've obviously been an emotional wreck for a very long time) and it's still one of my favorites. It's based off of a book by Nicholas Sparks (which is also fantastic by the way) and it's one of the last Nicholas Sparks books made to movies that I enjoyed. The most recent ones (looking at you Last Song starring Miley Cyrus) are just not the same. It's basically about a good girl preacher's daughter who falls in love with the town bad boy, changes his life forever and then *SPOILER* finds out she has cancer. The part that really gets me is after Shane West's character finds out. He's driving in a car and you can tell that he's a mixture between SO angry and absolutely devastated....and his lip starts quivering. Gets me every time.


Source
 
2. Time Traveler's Wife. Good golly this movie really makes me cry. It's also based off of a book and anything with Rachel McAdams is a winner in my eyes. This movie is about a man who involuntarily time travels throughout his life, meets his wife when she's a little girl and their story. There are miscarriage references in the movie but there's also a lot of hope so it's been the movie for my cry-fests lately.


Source
 
3. My Sister's Keeper. Another sad young person cancer-related movie. I don't know anyone who has managed to stay tear free through it. 


 Source
 
4. An Affair to Remember. This is an older movie but it's the best. There's nothing child or really illness related in this movie, it's just a good old-fashioned chick flick. It's actually referenced in Sleepless in Seattle…it's the movie that the women in that movie are always quoting and crying over.


Source
 
5. Steel Magnolias. With an all star cast that includes Dolly Parton, Sally Fields and Julia Roberts this movie takes me across a whole spectrum of emotions. I laugh until I cry, I bawl and I roll my eyes. Love it with all of my heart!


Source

Please share some of your favorite movies with me, great ones for my bi-monthly emotional breakdowns or others :)

1 comment:

  1. Moulin Rouge is my cry it out movie. I start sobbing before the sad parts (at the end) just because I know it's coming!

    ReplyDelete