Saturday, December 17, 2011

Moving Tips???

Soooo we are moving. And we're moving like….in 2 weeks. Right now we're in a 1500 square foot, 4 bedroom/2 bathroom house.

We have accumulated so many things and I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed with the whole moving process. When Josh's great grandma died last year she had a small library in her house and, knowing how much I adore books, my mother-in-law gave us a ton of them along with 3 floor to ceiling bookshelves. Books take up so much space people, so much space. I started packing last weekend and decided that starting with the books would be a good idea but I was wrong. After packing 4 boxes and barely making a dent I just wanted to cry. I have NO idea how we're going to pack up our whole house.

Plus we're moving most of it into storage. This is because we're moving in with my father in law for the time being. It was a really hard decision for me to agree to because Josh and I have been on our own for almost 3 years in our own house and we're completely and comfortably financially independent. We really want to buy a house in the town that our parents live in/that we're moving into. We're both extremely lucky in the fact that I already work in that town (right now I'm commuting 2 hours roundtrip to work every day) and the company that Josh works for is also located in that town and they are willing to transfer him into it (he's been working a route that's closer up to where we live currently). But his company doesn't really plan ahead so we didn't find out what position he'd be transferring into until last week. And we still don't know exactly what he'll be making. We know that we want to base our next house purchase off of Josh's income since I won't be working after we have a little one. Since we don't know what that'll be yet we'll be living with my father in law while we're in limbo.

The upside to that is that we will be saving a lot of money since, even though we'll be helping with utilities and groceries, we won't be paying rent. We already budget to spend only what Josh makes and we've been saving my paychecks but this will give our savings another good boost…which will in turn help us afford a house that we'll be comfortable raising our little family in once we find it.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have reservations but I think a lot of it is based on my pride. When people ask if we have a house yet I hate saying that we're moving in with Josh's dad. I feel like I instantly lose all credibility as an adult and I'm always quick to follow up with the reason why we're doing it. Hopefully it'll teach me a lesson in humility. Josh is so good at not worrying about appearances or what other people think when they don't know the whole story but it's definitely something that I struggle with a lot.

Does anyone have any packing/moving tips?? Or tips on how to help me swallow my pride?

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand how you feel! I dislike moving, hate change, and totally get why you dislike telling people where you are moving to.

    As for advice for moving, get rid of things you don't use (duh!) and this is a hard one for me because I like to keep everything. Also, number your boxes as you pack them and keep a master list. Then, you can keep the boxes that you want in storage straight, etc. I had a friend tell me about this and it was unbelievable how quickly she moved and unpacked. Also, she was able to know what boxes she needed to get into first--so if she just needed one thing, she didn't open 50 boxes to get to that one thing. She also would list the numbers of boxes outside the rooms and that way the movers put everything in the right spot. She is one of those people that are moved and unpacked in one day. Me, not so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's absolutely brilliant!! I especially love the numbering the rooms thing...that will definitely come in handy!

    ReplyDelete