Friday, December 23, 2011

I drank the Kool Aid

Today at 2pm I have my initial consultation with an acupuncturist. I can quite honestly say that I never would imagine that I'd be doing something like this. Until this whole TTC thing started I hated needles. Now, by necessity, I don't really mind them…which is good since I've gotten blood drawn more times than I can count since last June.

I've been reading the book "Making Babies: " and it talks a lot about reconciling eastern and western medicine to help with fertility issues. What the book says makes a lot of sense. Acupuncture was on my radar before I started reading it as one of my TTC friends started it in November and has seen really great results already. I started opening up to it more as I've been reading the book so I did my own internet research.

First I researched acupuncture and it's affect on PCOS since that was the first thing that I was diagnosed with and something that I considered my primary problem for years. I found almost all positive reports about it.

"The study reviewed several PCOS and acupuncture studies throughout the years and concluded that acupuncture may help PCOS by increasing blood flow to the ovaries, reducing the size of ovaries and ovarian cysts, controlling hyperglycemia by increasing insulin sensitivity and decreasing blood glucose and insulin levels, reducing cortisol levels, and assisting in weight loss."
Source

"In the current study, published in the American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, a group of women with PCOS were given acupuncture where the needles were stimulated both manually and with a weak electric current at a low frequency that was, to some extent, similar to muscular work. A second group was instructed to exercise at least three times a week, while a third group acted as controls. All were given information on the importance of regular exercise and a healthy diet.

"The study shows that both acupuncture and exercise reduce high levels of testosterone and lead to more regular menstruation," says docent associate professor Elisabet Stener-Victorin, who is responsible for the study. "Of the two treatments, the acupuncture proved more effective."

Although PCOS is a common disorder, researchers do not know exactly what causes it. "However, we've recently demonstrated that women with PCOS have a highly active sympathetic nervous system, the part that isn't controlled by our will, and that both acupuncture and regular exercise reduced levels of activity in this system compared with the control group, which could be an explanation for the results."

Source

Then I researched it's affect on recurrent miscarriages since that reality for me and fear for the future have become a major focus this year. Again, almost all positive reactions.

"Acupuncture can increase blood flow to the reproductive organs so that eggs and sperm are bathed in nutrient-rich blood while they are maturing. Better quality eggs, endometrial lining and sperm lead to better quality embryos and healthy implantation."
Source

And I lastly wanted to see if it could help my hypothyroid condition at all and I found some great information on that as well!

"Since hypothyroidism is a condition usually caused by an immune system malfunction or because of the effects of medication, it makes sense that acupuncture for hypothyroid conditions would be effective. Stimulation of the qi and the kidneys can help regulate energy flow, stimulate the immune system and strengthen the blood.

"Acupuncture can also be useful for treating symptoms of hypothyroid, even if the condition itself is not addressed in the treatment. For instance, acupuncture is noted for reducing the stress response, lowering blood pressure, increasing energy and causing recipients to feel more relaxed, all of which are helpful for a person with hypothyroid.

"It can also help with aches and pains, hay fever and allergies, even some of the menstrual abnormalities that may come with hypothyroid."

Source

After my research I was feeling even more positive about giving it a try for myself. I called my insurance company, fully expecting them to say that I was out of luck and would in no way be reimbursed and that acupuncture isn't covered at all. They did say that BUT they also said that they're doing a healthy living promotion right now. They've apparently partnered with a group of providers of alternative medicine and if I go to someone from the group I get up to a 20% discount. That made it look even more attractive to me. I found that out this past Tuesday.

On Wednesday I went online and found a provider in my town who was part of the group that my insurance company is dealing with. The information on her website seemed positive so I shot her off a quick email requesting a consultation. Less than 20 minutes later I got a call back and scheduled my appointment for today!

I'm a little nervous but also really excited. I was hoping I could get started with it before my next cycle starts because we're determined to go in full force in January. If this is one of the missing pieces of the puzzle I'll be thrilled.

Josh is going along with it to humor me I think. He very kindly (and sarcastically)  volunteered to go to the store and buy some needles, a do-it-yourself acupuncture kit of sorts. How sweet of him. But no. Definitely not.

2 comments:

  1. That's cool that you can get a discount on your acupuncture through your insurance. I hope your appointment goes well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!!!

    And men will never understand the things we do. At least he isn't opposed to it!

    ReplyDelete