Wednesday, January 4, 2012

How my diet has changed

I've always had some stomach issues and have kind of waffled between thinking that they are lactose issues or a gluten sensitivity.

I gave up dairy in April and never really looked back. I had more energy and the month after I cut it out of my diet I had signs of natural ovulation for the first time. It may have been a coincidence but I didn't want to chance it so I just continued with my dairy-free diet. I also wasn't eating a lot of meat just because it isn't something that I really crave or enjoy. I did (and still do) eat basically just a lot of chicken and light fish.

When I was diagnosed with thyroid issues last month I did a lot of research. I tend to over-research things and since I'm such a mega control freak I also tend to try to find things that I can personally do to help so that I can feel like I'm doing something other than swallowing some pills. That's why I tried acupuncture and also why I read books on natural ways to increase your fertility like they're going out of style. When I started seeing mentions here and there of how a gluten free diet has had a positive impact on other people's symptoms I became intrigued. A little light clicked on and I thought of my still present (even with my dairy cut out) and persistent stomach issues. When I read what the symptoms of a gluten intolerance could be I started considering trying to leave it behind along with the dairy. I briefly thought about just being medically tested for it but from what I've read it seems like the easiest way to diagnose a problem is by following a gluten free diet and get your answer through how your symptoms improve (or don't).
  • Abdominal Distention
  • Abdominal Pain and Cramping
  • Alternating Bouts of Diarrhea and Constipation
  • Anemia
  • Arthritis
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Autism
  • Bloating (see Gluten Intolerance Bloating)
  • Bone Density Loss
  • Borborygmi (stomach rumbling)
  • Constipation (see Celiac Disease Constipation)
  • Stunted Growth and Failure to Thrive
  • Depression, Anxiety and Irritability (see Celiac Depression)
  • Dermatitis Herpetiformis (skin rash — see my Dermatitis Herpetiformis article)
  • Diabetes
  • Diarrhea
  • Fatigue
  • Malodorous Flatulence
  • Malodorous Stools
  • Gluten Ataxia (see my Gluten Ataxia article)
  • Grayish Stools
  • Hair Loss (Alopecia)
  • Headaches and Migraines
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Infertility
  • Joint pain
  • Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
  • Lactose intolerance
  • Mouth sores or mouth ulcers
  • Nausea
  • Numbness or tingling in the patient’s hands and feet
  • Osteoporosis
  • Peripheral Neuropathy (including either a tingling or sensation of swelling your toes and fingers)
  • Sjogren’s Disease
  • Steatorrhea (high lipids in the stool, which may cause the stool to float)
  • Teeth and Gum Problems
  • Turner Syndrome
  • Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies
  • Vomiting
  • Unexplained Weight loss
Source

So I did it. Like I do most things I jumped right in with both feet and cut all the gluten from my diet as of the next day. It's been about a month now and I can honestly say that I haven't cheated at all. Overall, I feel much better. My digestion issues seem to have really improved and I feel like I have a lot more energy. The fact that my thyroid number came back fabulous doesn't hurt either.

I didn't realize how much gluten was present in my diet until I gave it up but since I did I've had a lot of fun experimenting with new recipes and cooking/baking methods (recipes to come soooooon). Another good effect has been that I've been forced to concentrate on vegetables and animal protein. I think that that, in turn, has had an effect on my anemia and general lack of nutrients. I also attempt to eat a low GI diet (recommended for us lucky PCOSers because of insulin resistance) and the fact that I can't eat gluten has definitely made that easier as well.

All in all, I'm going to stick with it. Are there any other gluten free ladies out there? Have you seen any health changes come from it?

3 comments:

  1. I've been toying with this since my thyroid numbers came back with zero improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I am really struggling with. Ive been trying to stay away from certain foods, but my eating habits have always been bad. I am such a steak and potato girl (born and raised). After struggling with infertilty, I was reading to change eating habits and geez I'm having an issue. Good luck on your new habits. It sounds like its working well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on a gf, df, low gi diet for about 6 months now. It came instages. First I cut out most dairy and wheat, then I went low gi, and finally I completely cut gluten and all dairy. What I've missed the most have been baked goods, but with the discovery of almond flour, and a great cookbook called the gluten free almond flour cookbook, I've been able to start baking for myself. The really great thing is that most of the recipes in that cookbook are also moderate to low gi.

    Like you, I pretty much haven't looked back, because I feel so much healthier on my new diet. I plan to stick to it, even when I'm not TTC.

    ReplyDelete