Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sacrifices

 Anyone who has done any research about TTC or who has been trying for a while usually comes to the conclusion that there are some sacrifices that you choose to make during the process.
 
A lot of people don't think about that in advance I think....you automatically think of the sacrifices that you'll make for your children throughout their lives. Sacrifices like saving for their college education instead of buying that pair of designer boots that you like, sacrifices like surviving off of very little sleep when your child is an infant, sacrifices like spending your weekend driving children to various activities. You prepare yourself to make those sacrifices and a lot of times you (or at least I do) look forward to making them because of the love that you know that you'll have for the munchkins.
 
You don't usually think about giving up your brain for 2 weeks while you're trying to decipher every little thing trying to decide if you had good timing this month. You don't think about forcing down vitamins and pills galore so that your body is a hospitable environment for a potentially growing little one. You don't think about setting an alarm at 5:30am, even on weekends, to make sure that your temperatures are consistent. You don't think about keeping a red cup and stockpile of OPKs in your bathroom and rushing home to empty your bursting bladder to see if you've ovulated yet. At least I didn't! But we still make those unplanned-for sacrifices.
 
Josh is a beer salesman. He doesn't drink a lot but he likes to have a beer with dinner, sometimes a few days a week. About a week into this cycle I asked him if he wanted one as dinner was almost ready and he said no. He'd had a rough day so I was kind of surprised until he added "I'm not going to drink until after you ovulate this month...just in case." Cue my heart melting.
 
I tend to welcome these small sacrifices. No, I didn't think that we'd be making sacrifices for our babies before we even know that they're on their way but I consider it good practice for the sacrifices I'm sure we'll be making throughout their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment