Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reasons I love to run.

1. Stress Relief. I know I've mentioned it before but running is magical as a stress reliever for me. There's nothing else like it.

2. It's basically free. At least that's what I tell Josh :) You don't really need much to be successful at it. I personally think that a good pair of running shoes is an absolute must investment but other than that all you need is a place to run. Of course if you're a shopaholic like I am you'll use it as an excuse to buy more Nike tempo shorts and ear warmers and tech shirts than you'll ever need. But if you have self control (unlike me) that isn't a problem.

3. Alone time with me. I'm really busy all the time. I do a lot of running around to get things done at work, I commute a total of 2 hours every day and our weekends are always jam packed. Even when I'm in the car I have the radio on and when I'm at home the TV is on, even if I'm folding clothes or doing something else. When I run I have time to think...or to turn my mind off and not think, which is sometimes even more rejuvenating. I've heard so many people (my mom included) say that they do their best thinking in the shower. I do my best thinking on a run.

4. It gives me self confidence. If 3 or 4 years ago you would have told me that someday I'd run a half marathon I would've laughed in your face. I didn't think that I was capable of pushing myself to accomplish something like that. Since I started running I feel like I can do anything if I work at it hard enough.

5. There's nothing like the thrill of a race. Absolutely nothing....at least nothing that I've experienced so far. The comraderie between all of the runners is amazing. Everyone is there in a competition with themselves (to get through that extra distance, to set a personal record, etc.) and it feels like all of the other runners are your teammates in that competition. 

I'm looking forward to running my second annual Turkey Trot on this Thanksgiving Thursday morning and I couldn't be more thrilled! My sister and Josh are running with me and I'm so thankful that we'll be sharing the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment