Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Coping Mechanisms.

When I'm frustrated or overwhelmed with something (waiting for an engagement, wedding planning, TTC…) there are some things that I always do to basically "find a way to get through it."

I run. I not only run recreationally but I set specific running goals, go crazy registering for races and training, read running blogs, buy new running shorts (Nike tempos forever!!), etc. Case in point: I ran a half marathon a week and a half ago, I'm registered for another one on December 4th and I'm running a 5k on Thanksgiving. I've been logging about 30 miles per week. I have 2 new running shirts AND a new running bumper sticker on my car.

I plan. Since I have a very type A personality and always feel like I need to be in control giving something up completely without any intervention from me is something that I really super struggle with. Since I have to take time off from TTC planning and just wait (I'm so bad at waiting) I use the time to plan (control) other things. Case in point: I scheduled one of Josh and my friends to come up this weekend, planned a 21st birthday celebration for my brother in law, planned a trip down to SoCal to visit my sister and I've made a list of places that Josh and I can drive to in California that I'd like to visit on weekends. I've also planned out our move to the letter, I have a spreadsheet with what is going in what box. I've also completed our wedding photo album (finally).

I try to de-stress. HA. I think this mechanism is completely counter-productive because even though I'm doing relaxing things I'm planning out what I'm going to do to relax. I doubt it's helpful but at least it makes me feel like I'm just "letting go." Case in point: I've planned out my yoga class schedule for the next month.

Yeeeeeeeikes. You think I'm stressed much? At least I'm getting things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment