Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Pregnancy Journal

Ever since I got pregnant I've wanted to start a pregnancy journal for our little one. At first, when I was spotting, I was way too scared. I just knew that if I started one then it would something guarantee that I would lose the baby. Then as I grew to be more comfortable feeling actually pregnant…I still didn't start.

I think that a pregnancy journal and, after the baby is born, a journal full of memories and thoughts about when he/she is little would be such a treasure to have. It would be good for me to be able to express moments of joy or humor, just the little things that I'd like to remember. I can also just picture being able to share those things with him/her and I know my memory…it's not the greatest.

I have the journal and I have the thoughts and quite a few memories already that I'd love to record in it but I still haven't started just because I’m not sure where to start or what format to really put it in. So I'm looking for advice or inspiration. If you kept/are keeping a pregnancy journal how did you start? Were you able to keep up with it? Or did your mom keep one? OR have you seen anything online that you think would be good inspiration/advice for me?

4 comments:

  1. While I don't plan on doing this because I want at least 3 kids and I would feel bad if I only did it for the first, I still think it's a cute idea. My suggestion is just open up a word document and start writing, as you get stuff out of your head and onto the screen I bet you'll start to have a better idea of how you want to format it and what you want it to look like.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do this too...But I'm still at the stage where I worry that it would jinx. I'm getting better about not thinking every damn thing will jinx, but I haven't put a lot of thought into the journal because of that little fear. I set up milestones in my head, and I think that after we go for our u/s tomorrow (God please let everything still be great!) then I am going to start a journal. So I will think on this and let you know what I figure out! FWIW, I kind of envisioned it to be directed at the baby in a cute Bridget Jonesy way? Like:
    Tuesday, April 17th: I saw and heard your little heartbeat for the first time today. You had me SO worried! I cried and cried when they told me you were perfectly healthy and strong, and I was so proud of you for being so tough and hanging in there for me. I have never heard or seen anything so wonderful. I cannot wait to see you again on Monday and your Daddy will be there too! Stay strong and healthy for us! We love you so so SO much:)
    Or something to that effect. I hope I did

    ReplyDelete
  3. not jinx anything by typing that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept a journal throughout my pregnancy, and plan to continue it as little one grows up. I'm so glad I did. I already love to go back and read it, and I hope to give it to her someday when she's pregnant. I started mine by telling about seeing the positive pregnancy test, and how excited and nervous we were. Then I just did a weekly writing with a belly pic every week and told about how she was growing each week, and how I was feeling. I also wrote random thoughts, and about doctors appointments and basically just anything I didn't want to forget. It's not perfect, but I know it's something I'll always treasure and hopefully someday so will she. :)

    ReplyDelete