Saturday, April 21, 2012

Losing the safety blanket

As I mentioned in my updates post I am going to be weaned off of progesterone supplementation this week. This is causing me a lot of anxiety but I’m trying very hard to trust my doctors and to trust my placenta.

Since I found out that I had issues with my body producing low progesterone I've researched and I logically know that once the placenta has formed and functioning my ovaries and their progesterone production are not as important. The placenta supports the baby and the pregnancy and my ovaries are let off the hook. I've always said that once I got to the point where that happened I'd be able to relax. Now that I'm actually at this point "the calm" hasn't hit me. Even though I rationally know that the progesterone supplementation isn't needed anymore I also have the traumatic experiences of losing pregnancies where my progesterone was the issue and I am completely paranoid for that reason. Those pregnancies were very early and we're at 14 and a half weeks with this one but I just can't hold onto that for some reason.

I am very thankful that my doctors have kept my progesterone monitored and that the plan is to continue that throughout the pregnancy. I had my last PIO injection last night (100mg), I take 2 prometrium suppositories tonight, 2 prometrium suppositories tomorrow night and then 1 prometrium suppository on Sunday and Monday nights. As of Tuesday I'll be off the supplementation. I have a blood draw on Friday to check my progesterone level at that point (all of the supplementary P should be out of my system by then) and to check my TSH. So we'll go from there.

Can anyone who has been on the progesterone supplementation before help calm me down about this? I'm just terrified that as soon as I go off the progesterone spotting will commence and I'll lose the baby. It's not logical at all but it's there.

1 comment:

  1. There's probably nothing in the world that's really going to help you calm down except for time. I've discovered that pregnancy after a loss is no picnic, your brain will invent a million different new reasons that you may be losing the baby after the old tried and true actual reasons you lost a baby in the past have been surpassed. For instance, I'm at 23 weeks, well past where I lost my last and have really no risk factors that would keep me from going full term...and yet about once a week I fully convince myself I'm going into preterm labor and that I will have a stillborn baby. It's not rational, it's not logical, but it's there.

    For comforting news, it doesn't happen all the time, especially after you can feel the baby move (which should just be a few more weeks for you!), even if you start to have irrational thoughts about your fetus spontaneously dying in utero at some point every day it starts moving and it pushes all your crazy irrational thoughts to the side...until they takes over again.

    It's just pregnancy after miscarriage unfortunately, you will always worry, it gets easier, but it doesn't go away.

    ReplyDelete